In March 1874, Advent and Sabbath Advocate and Hope of Israel editor and publisher Jacob Brinkerhoff dropped Hope of Israel from the name which became known simply as Advent and Sabbath Advocate. As financial and other difficulties threatened the continuation of the paper Brinkerhoff sold his home to save the publication. With the proceeds he bought the office, press, printing materials and furnishings.
In October 1884, a loose confederation called the "General Conference of the Church of God" was founded, made up of the state conferences of Michigan, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska and Kansas. Other states were added later. A. C. Long (one of the founders of the Missouri church) became president of the conference. Alexander F. Dugger, Sr. (a pioneer in the Nebraska church) was elected vice president. Jacob Brinkerhoff became secretary, and L. N. Kramer treasurer. A. C. Long, W. C. Long and John C. Branch were general conference committeemen.
Beginning in 1885, the General Conference took over the publication of the Advocate, relieving Brinkerhoff of. the financial burden. Its circulation then had reached 485. Membership of the Church of God had grown to about 1,000. The annual budget for the Advocate was $1,100, or about $1.10 per year per member. According to Brinkerhoff, this sum covered paper, ink, firewood for heat and salaries for typesetters and pressmen.
In 1888, the Church of God moved its headquarters from Marion, Iowa, to Stanberry, Missouri, and with it the Advent and Sabbath Advocate, which they renamed the Sabbath Advocate and Herald of the Advent.
<table> <tbody> <tr class="adminrow " id="related_relatedpublicationsrow"> <td class="fieldcell"> 1863–1872, The Hope of Israel
1872–1874, Advent and Sabbath Advocate and the Hope of Israel
1888–1900, Sabbath Advocate and Herald of the Advent
1900–1972, The Bible Advocate and Herald of the Coming Kingdom
1972–date, Bible Advocate
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>